Programs & Expertise
FXB Center research funded by the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR) was the first to examine the effects of severity of illness and antiretroviral treatment and the effects of stressful life events on quality of life in in children living with HIV infection. Evaluation and research projects supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)/HIV AIDS Bureau (HAB), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the New Jersey Department of Health Division of HIV/STD/TB Services have focused on a number of topics including the needs and care of women living with HIV, prevention of perinatal HIV transmission, and evaluation of training and technical assistance resources. Examples, listed below, illustrate the integration of FXB Center research and evaluation with programmatic funding; some projects have received direct support and others have developed through networking supported by the funded program.
Publications and Presentations
- Perinatal HIV Exposure Surveillance and Reporting in the United States, 2014
Kathleen A. Brady, Deborah S. Storm, Azita Naghdi, Toni Frederick, Jessica Fridge, Mary Jo Hoyt
DOI: 10.1177/0033354916681477 | First Published December 12, 2016
- Nelson J, Kinder A, Satcher Johnson A, Hall HI, Hu X, Sweet D, et al. Differences in selected HIV care continuum outcomes among people residing in rural, urban, and metropolitan areas – 28 United States jurisdictions. Journal of Rural Health. 2016. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com
- Spach DH, Wood BR, Karpenko A, Unruh KT, Kinney RG, Roscoe C, Nelson J. (2016). Creating a national HIV curriculum. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 27(3): 261-273. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.002
View the article here.
- Willard S, Nelson J, Reyes D, Linn A. (2016). Advancing HIV nursing practice: The doctor of nursing practice HIV specialty at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 27(3): 234-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.007
View the article here.
- Nelson J. November 12, 2016. Rebuilding the National HIV Workforce. Presentation given at the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 2016 Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- LGBTQ Patient Care chapter added to textbook — A new chapter titled LGBTQ Patient Care authored by Mary DiGiulio, Peter Oates & Wendy Ritch was added to the 2017 Elsevier textbook: Primary Care A Collaborative Practice, 5th edition by Buttaro, Trybulski, Polgar-Bailey & Sandberg-Cook.
New Jersey Department of Health Division of HIV/STD/TB Services
Child Health Program and the Roseanne H. Silbermann Foundation
- A survey of nursing services in public child welfare agencies in the United States.